Information Security Awareness for Cargills Bank Limited Customers
Online Banking and Mobile Banking is an easy, and secure way to do banking at your convenience. However, similar to how we take precautions with traditional banking, we also need to take precautions when using Online Banking And Mobile Banking.
What is Online Fraud?
When someone poses as a legitimate person or organisation to obtain your information, and then fraudulently conducts transactions on your bank accounts, it is considered as Online fraud. Common methods of Online fraud are fraudulent emails, websites, and pop-up windows, or any combination of these with other social engineering techniques.
What is Social Engineering?
Social engineering is the manipulation of people, so they divulge confidential information. Criminals trick a person into giving them user IDs, passwords, credit card numbers, or bank information; or access their computer and install malicious software to gain this information, and to also control the computer.
What is Pretexting?
You receive a phone call from someone claiming to be from your financial institution. They speak to you about your accounts and personal information in a way that suggests they are legitimate. However, the person is an identity thief who has uncovered some information about you and is looking for more so they can attempt fraud.
What is Phishing?
Phishing is where a person is contacted by email, telephone or text message by someone posing as a legitimate person or organisation, to lure that person into providing confidential information such as User Ids, passwords, Credit Card numbers, or bank information.
What is Pharming?
Pharming is the redirection of users from legitimate websites to fraudulent websites where confidential information such as User Ids, passwords, Credit Card numbers, or bank information are requested.
Cargills Bank Internet Banking and Mobile Banking has several fraud mitigating measures in place, including the following:
● Secure access and verifying user authenticity:
A unique User ID and Password combination is given for proper identification.
● Automatic Log Off / Session Timeout
After 05 minutes of inactivity, your Cargills Bank Online Banking session will automatically log you off to avoid unauthorized access.
● Password Lockout
If your Password is entered incorrectly six times consecutively, you will be “locked out” of Online Banking until the bank can verify your identity.
● Secure Data Transfer / Encryption
Encryption of information is used within your Online Banking session.
Smart ways to Use Online Banking and Mobile Banking
- Password Protection
MAKE your Password safe
- Set a password that is difficult to guess for others.
- Use a combination of numbers, special characters, and upper and lower case letters (e.g. AzXd#185)
- Avoid using a number or name that is likely to be guessed by others. For example, avoid names and birthdates of family members.
- Avoid using the same Password for different accounts.
KEEP your Password safe
- Never disclose your Password to anyone.
- Keep your User ID and Password confidential at all times.
- Never write down or record a Password without disguising it.
- Never store your Password on computers, mobile phones, or placed in plain sight to others.
USE your Password safe
- Ensure that no one is watching you while you enter your Password.
- Never read out your Password over the phone.
- Never include your Password in an email.
- Never save your password in the web browser or mobile phone.
DON’T share an OTP
- An OTP will be sent only to your mobile number or email registered at Cargills Bank.
- Make sure you update your mobile number or email so you can receive your OTP.
- Do not share your OTP with anyone.
- Secured Access
- Avoid accessing Online Banking or Mobile Banking via public computers, shared mobile or public Wi-Fi.
- Enter www.cargillsbank.com website address directly. Never access our website or provide your personal information (including your password) through any hyperlinks or attachments embedded in emails or from websites.
- Check the website URL to ensure it begins with a ‘https’ prefix. The common ‘http’ prefix (i.e. without the trailing ‘s’) is not secure.
- Download mobile applications from reputable sources only, e.g. Apple App Store, Google Play.
- Always lock your mobile phone by a password or pattern when it is not in use.
- Do not leave your computer or mobile phone unattended when you are accessing your Online Banking.
- Remember to logout immediately after use. Closing the browser does not log you out. Click on the “Logout” button and follow the log out procedures to protect your account information.
- Messages from Bank
- Cargills Bank will never send an email message requesting confidential information such as account numbers, PIN Numbers or Passwords. If you receive such a request, contact Cargills Bank Customer Care on + 94 11 7640 640 immediately.
- You must provide a valid mobile phone and contact number for notification purposes. If any of these numbers is changed, please notify the Bank immediately.
- Check the SMS notification sent to you after each fund transfer.
- If you suspect someone has accessed your Online Banking or you have noticed suspicious transactions, immediately contact Cargills Bank on + 94 11 7640 640.
- If you have any suspicion or receive One-Time Password through SMS or email more than once, immediately contact Cargills Bank on + 94 11 7640 640.
- Check your accounts periodically and review alerts and statements.
- E-mail Security
- Avoid opening suspicious emails requesting your account information and/or password, or mail from unknown senders. If you have opened any suspicious email, do not open any attachment or link it may contain. Delete the email.
- Online Shopping Security
You can enjoy safe and convenient Online shopping using your Card by following some simple rules:
- Only use “secure” web pages when you enter your Card details. A web page is secure if there is a locked padlock in the lower right-hand corner of your browser, or if the address starts with ‘https’, where the ‘s’ stands for secure.
- Practice safe computing (e.g. encryption, virus scanning software, firewall, anti-spyware software and similar safeguards).
- Use reputable Online stores. For example, check that the Online store has a return and refunds policy.
- If you have to use a password to access a service, make sure it isn’t easily identifiable and don’t disclose it to anyone.
- Contact Cargills Bank Customer Care on + 94 11 7640 640 immediately if an unrecognized charge appears on your Card statement.
- Protecting Your Credit / Debit Card
- Check your bank statements on a regular basis and report any suspected fraudulent activity to the bank immediately.
- If you lose your card or suspect it has been stolen, report it immediately to your bank and cancel the missing card.
- Change your Personal Identification Number (PIN) and password every few months.
- Only use ATMs at the bank.
- Never use public open networks for online transactions.
- Use trusted and secure sites for credit/debit card payments.
- Never share pictures of the credit/debit card.
- Avoid storing credit/debit card details in web applications.
- Secure ATM Usage
- Only utilize ATMs that are associated with a bank; stay away from potential “skimming” locations such as gas stations.
- Before proceeding with your transaction, look around to guard against surveillance by anyone who may arouse your slightest suspicion.
- Always request a receipt for your transaction. Compare your receipts to your monthly statements.
- If your ATM card is lost or stolen, report it to your bank immediately. Report the unauthorized use of an ATM machine or ATM card to your bank and to your local police precinct immediately.
- If you see anything suspicious, immediately cancel your transaction and leave. Confirm with your financial institution as soon as possible that the transaction was indeed canceled.
- If the machine keeps the card, call the bank immediately and report it.
- Don’t let anyone enter while using the ATM.
- Never forget and leave the card in the ATM.
- Minimize your time at the ATM. Have your card ready. If you’re making a deposit using an envelope, seal the envelope before you head to the ATM.
- Use your free hand to cover the ATM keyboard while you type in your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
- Office : No. 696, Galle Road, Colombo 03, Sri Lanka.
- Telephone : +94 11 7 640 640 (Head Office / Hotline)
- E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org